I’ve made chicken salads or spreads before. When I want something sweet, I make the Filipino Chicken Sandwich spread that I’ve posted here. But this one I’m sharing is my go-to recipe for the ultimate Chicken Spread/Salad which I’ve adjusted to suit my taste. I’d have to say it’s The Best Chicken Spread I’ve made. Yes, BEST because hubby says so You can’t argue with him. We eat our way through life, remember?
It’s so quick and easy to make but the best thing about is that it’s oh so good, your friends will ask for the recipe. I’ve had many requests for the recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 chicken breasts boiled and chopped (I add 1/4 cup of white wine when boiling. I prefer breasts with bones in so I can use the stock for cooking. Add 1 bay leaf, 1 chicken cubes and some peppercorns when boiling)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 -2 tsp. lemon juice
- 200 ml of mayo 3/4 cup and a tablespoon
- 1/8 cup of sour cream (optional)
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- a pinch of salt
I mix all the dry ingredients first: chicken, onions, eggs and celery. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the rest of the ingredients like mayo, sour cream and lemon juice. Add a pinch of sugar. Pop it in the fridge and that’s it!
The best thing about this dish is that, I can have them for breads or crackers as a chicken spread and for vegetable salads as well.
After I boil the chicken, I divide it into two to make a spread and the other for a vegetable salad:
1. Vegetable Salad- chop them in chunkier pieces and add lesser mayo. Mix it with romaine lettuce, apples, carrots, cucumber, etc.
2. Chicken Spread – put everything in the food processor so the chicken is finely chopped and I can have it as a spread. You may also just chop it finely and toss everything together and you have the best chicken spread that you can keep in the fridge and serve to family and friends for a party.
That’s why I call it my Ultimate Chicken Salad recipe.
Let me know what you think.